DIY Blonde/Silver Hair Toner

Ok guys, this is something I have been trying to get written out to post for about two weeks now. 

Let me just start by saying that I am NOT a professional, I have no hair-school training, and what I did may be completely wrong, but hey it worked for me! (:



Lately I have been getting frustrated that my hair has had so many Yellow Tones in it. I have always liked having really (white ish) blonde hair, so the yellow completely drives me nuts. I don't like highlighting my hair unless its been like three - four months (I don't mind a little grow out. Haha!) so getting it done again wasn't an option for me as it hasn't been more than two months. I upped using my purple shampoo to every other wash, rather than every 3 washes, which still didn't give me the results I wanted. 

I went to my local Sallys to browse for some new gel polish's for fall when I saw this Manic Panic hair toner in Virgin Snow White. I just had to try it! Since the bottle was smaller and I didn't want my hair to get dyed straight up white I looked online for things I could add to it.


After what seemed like hours...I decided to add about 1/3-1/2 a cup of cheaper conditioner (any kind would work I'm sure) and about 1/3-1/2 a cup of the Shimmer Lights purple shampoo. With the full bottle of the toner this made the perfect amount to cover my whole head evenly.



I pulled down a little section of hair, applied the mix, and continued to do this until my hair was fully covered. I did pretty small sections (about 6 total) to make sure I got it all the way up to all the roots.




Once it was all finished I pulled it up into a bun and let it sit for about 30 minutes. 


I washed my hair very thoroughly to make sure all of the mixture was out, and than I was done!

I am very happy with how it turned out. It was really white/grey ish at first, but after another wash it is the perfect color again. It even toned my grown out roots, which makes it look like its been recently done, win win! I will definitely continue this every month or so in between getting my hair done. 


A few pictures from before!



A picture the first time after washing it. You can see its really white/grey here, it really toned down quite a bit after I washed it again.



Here is what it looked like after washing it a few times.





I am so happy with the color and how easy it was to do this. Here is a run down of the cost of the supplies to do this...

Manic Panic Toner - $11
Shimmer Lights - $10-20 (depending on the size)
Conditioner - $3.29
Color Tray - $2.30
Clear Brushes - $.99 each
Gloves - $2.99

Since I have all the supplies to do it already, all I would need next time is the toner, purple shampoo (which I usually keep on hand), and a cheap conditioner. That's pretty darn cheap to keep up!

If you try this out for yourself, tag @addie_robertson and hashtag #MakeItLively in the picture!

No comments :

Post a Comment